Methi thepla is world famous traditional gujarati bread with made out of wheat flour, spices and methi (fenugreek) leaves. Gujaratis are known for homemade typical gujarati food and farsan and yes, for sure thepla is on top of that list. It’s so funny but whenever you are doing picnic and you see family next to you eating thepla and dry potato bhaji…without second thought get it that they are gujarati 😉 and yes, I am proud gujarati. Do try my this recipe without fail if you like carnival of indian flavors in your bread. You’ll surely going to love it.
- Yogurt – 2 TBS
- Fenugreek leaves- 2 handful
- Crushed garlic,green chili – 2 garlic, 1 green chili
- Sugar – 1 1/2 TSP
- Salt- As per taste
- Coriander-cumin powder- 1 TSP
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 TSP
- Red chili powder – 1 1/2 TSP
- Garam masala – 1/2 TSP
- Sesame seeds – 2 TSP
- Oil – 1 TSP for dough + for pan frying
- Flour – 1 1/2 Cup
- Water – As per you need
- Add everything to flour and mix it well.
- Now add water and knead medium soft dough.
- Coat dough with oil and cover it. Let it rest for 15minutes.
- After resting time, again knead it for 1 minute and roll medium size balls out of it.
- It will come out 10 to 13 balls from that much dough.
- Now roll the theplas with help of flour like a thick chapati.
- Now heat up a pan and add thepla into it.
- Once it cook about 30% on medium-high flame on one side then flip it to another side.
- Apply 1/2 to 1 tsp of oil to top of thepla and again let bottom cook for 30 seconds.
- Now again flip it and spread oil to another side.
- Press with spatula to evenly distribute heat.
- Keep cooking and flipping it until its cook.
- Repeat same process with rest of theplas.
- Serve it hot or cold with yogurt, tea, coffee or Tikhari (Spicy garlicky yogurt dip)