Medu vada is nothing but crispy fried Indian donuts. You can’t resist them when they are coming out of frying kadhai and you have authentic sambhar and coconut chutney in front of you. These fried dumplings made from soaked and grinded urad daal.
- Urad daal – 1 Cup
- Green chilies – 4
- Ginger – 2inches
- Water – to soak urad daal + 3-4TBS while grinding it
- Oil – For frying
- Shredded coconut or powder – ¼ TSP
- Salt – As per taste
- Soak urad daal in plenty of water overnight.
- Now take out water and blend the daal into mixer adding green chilies and ginger.
- Add little water to make grinding process easy but don’t add more.
- Make smooth paste. It will take about 5 to 8 minutes in mixer.
- Take out daal paste and place it into off oven with keeping light on.
- After resting 5-7 hours, take out batter from oven.
- Now add shredded coconut and salt to it and mix it until 5-7minutes to create air bubbles inside our batter to make fluffy medu vada.
- Side by side start to heat up oil for frying and start to make medu vada.
- Take bowl full with water and wet your hand.
- Take small dumpling of batter into your hand, place thumb in middle of it and give donut shape to it.
- Slowly flip it to oil.
- Keep your hand wet all the time while you are placing vada into oil. By that batter will not stick to your hand and it will easily flip in oil.
- Make all vadas with same way and fry it on medium flame around 2-3minutes.
- Serve it hot with coconut chutney and sambhar.