Dhaba style dal makhani in slow cooker
Dhaba style or restaurent style dal makhani always taste flavorful. Do you want to know why??? Traditional dal makhani takes longer time to cook. so in dhaba, people cook this makhani dal over night to infused maximum flavors our of it and thats why I called this recipe dhaba style as we are going to cook this dal same way with less hassle. yea, you don’t need to stir it waking up in middle of night 😉 Slow cooked is super blessing to me when I am cooking dal makhani. I cooked both way this recipe, boiling dal on stove for 2-3 hours and in slow cooker. Trust me slow cooker works like magic here so if you have slow cooker, give this recipe a shot.
- Black urad daal – 1 cup
- Red kidney beans – 1/3 cup
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- Moti ilaichi – 1
- Water (at night) – 3 cups + 1 1/2 cup added later
- Butter – 1 tbs
- Oil – 1 tbs
- Chopped onions – 3/4 cup
- Chopped tomatoes – 3/4 cup
- Freshly graded ginger – 2 tsp
- Cilantro – handful + for garnishing
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Soak black urad dal and red kidney beans over night or 6 to 8 hours.
- Add both dal, cinnamon stick, moti ilaichi, cloves, salt and water to slow cooker and let it cook on low setting for 9 to 10 hours.
- Adjust water if its lets after it cooked.
- Give tadka before 2 hours you are going to have it.
- Soak red chili powder, coriander cumin powder and turmeric powder into 3 tbs of water and start preparing tadka.
- Heat up butter and oil and add onions it it when its hot.
- Saute onions until its nicely golden brown in color.
- Add chopped tomatoes and do it and again cook until moisture evaporates.
- Now add graded ginger, chopped cilantro and soaked spices to it and cook all together for 1 minute.
- Add this tadka to dal and mix all together.
- Take out about 1/4 cup dal to blender and puree it and add it back to dal.
- It will give reacher texture to dal.
- At this point keep setting on high and lets it cook for 2 hours.
- Add fresh cream at end and garnish it with cilantro.
- Serve it hot with rice or paratha.