One of my favorite sweet dish I can relish it anytime. You can find it in different varieties from combinations with daals of flavor to yogurt but I like it this way since even I don’t remember. It’s how I grown up eating it and it’s the only way I truly enjoy flavors of the amazing fluffy fried, water soaked vadas drizzle with loads of sweet and salty yogurt with chutney. The yogurt should not be too sour; this is key element of tasty dahi vada. Too sour yogurt’s overpowering tanginess will demolish other flavors of dahi vada. The milder taste and creamier yogurt will give you creamy, flavorful dahi vada. You can also use greek yogurt in this recipe.
- Urad daal – 1 Cup
- Green chilies – 4
- Ginger – 2inches
- Water – to soak urad daal + 3-4TBS for grinding
- Oil – For frying
- Salt – As per taste
- Yogurt – As much you need
- Sugar – As per taste
- Sweet chutney – For garnishing
- Red chili powder – Pinch, for garnishing
- Coriander cumin powder – Pinch, for garnishing
- Soak urad daal in plenty of water overnight.
- Now take out water and blend the daal into mixer adding green chilies, salt and ginger.
- Add little water to make grinding process easy but don’t add more.
- Make smooth paste. It will take about 5 to 8 minutes in mixer.
- Take out daal paste and place it into off oven with light on.
- After resting 5-7 hours, take out batter from oven.
- Start to heat up oil for frying and start to make vada.
- Drop small dumplings in hot oil and fry those for 3-4 minutes on medium high flame.
- Take out vadas on paper towel and try to get rid of excess oil.
- Add those warm vadas to warm water for 30minutes to 1 hour.
- Now squeeze out water from vadas when you ready to serve it.
- For yogurt mixture, add sugar and salt to yogurt and blend it well.
- If you wish you can add little bit of water for pouring consistency of yogurt.
- Pour yogurt mixture over vadas and drizzle sweet chutney and spicy chutney (optional) on top of it.
- Sprinkle some red chili powder and coriander cumin powder for garnishing.
- Serve it chilled.